Sunday, May 8, 2016

My First Audition

April 16th, 2016.
Cheryl shares a post about auditions for a Princess and Me Tea fundraiser.
Initially I responded with "oh, that could be cool."
But as I thought about it, and as I started working on a song, I realized that it was something that I really did want to do. About two weeks before the May 1st auditions, I officially decided that I was going to go for it. I was going to audition. It was a HUGE step, and I was nervous, but to say I was excited would have been an understatement. So as the date approached, I began to prepare.

Thursday: Started freaking out because my throat was starting to get irritated. My allergies. So I got off work and went to an all natural market to get a throat spray. Stuff tasted nasty, but worked like a charm. The next step was Walmart, for cough drops, lemon juice, and bottled water. Worked on my song, and made sure I knew all the words in ASL.

Friday: So I literally sang everything BUT my audition song, but it was good for my voice because I sang almost all day. My voice sounded pretty powerful, and it made me happy.

Saturday: PURE CRAZINESS! Still managed to find time to practice; feeling about 90% confidant. Got my nails done!
Took lemon balm at about 10:40pm. Got my toe nail polish all off about ten minutes later. It was strong! Still holding on from a friends wedding in March.
So ready for this!

Sunday: Up at Five freaking Fifty-One am.No more sleep for me.
Discovered my hair was oily, which totally screwed up the look I wanted for the audition, so I had to wash it in the sink. That's something that I don't do often. I prayed it would dry properly at church.
Also discovered I was breaking out. Yay. Me. But that's ok. I took ALL the makeup to church with me.
Supplies for the day:
Painkiller
Lemon balm
Throat spray
Lotion
Pens
Mints
Cough drops
Deodorant
Snack
Makeup
Burst
Tooth brush/paste
Water with lemon
Tissues
Fan
Book

Outfit:

8-ish am
Got my sister a coffee at McDonalds on the way to church, but was too nervous to actually get anything for myself. I wasn't;t sure if I would be able to keep it down.
Spent some time in the drama room practicing; felt confidant in my ability to do this as long as my throat doesn't do the thing it likes to do where it closes up and doesn't let me sing the first few notes properly.

9:33am
Still sick to my stomach, but the worship service was fantastic. I love singing praise to my Savior

9:38 CONCENTRATION TEST TIME
Pastor Bob's Sermon: Living on a prayer part 2. Eph 6:18
(I managed to get all the notes except two points on the first go round, and caught them the second time he went through them. I'll admit, I missed them because there was a bit of note passing between Cheryl and I as we tried to decide who was driving.

11:00am
Children's church was awesome! I love that job and was sad to leave so quickly, but I ran upstairs as soon as we were done with music so I could do my hair and makeup. Makeup was done quickly and confidently, but for the life of me I couldn't get my hair do do what I wanted it to. After about 10 minutes I gave up and let it fall naturally-with the help of a curling brush.

11:40am
And we are off! I'm nowhere near hungry, and I considered taking my lemon balm. I decided that I was going to try to go without it, but that I wouldn't get down on myself if I ended up needing it.

12:21pm
We stopped for lunch at Sonic in Ozark. I ate a little, and was really happy I was able to do so. Still no lemon balm, but we cannot seem to find the place! Up and down and up and down the same street. Finally, we asked for directions. The GPS had taken us in the oposite direction! Stupid thing. . .

12:45pm
WE FOUND IT!
And now Hayleah is going to audition too! I'm so excited because I think it would be amazing if she, Mikayla and I all got parts. Oh, and Olivia too! I was excited to see her there. We ended up using the same audition song. . .lol oops! Oh well, no competition between friends ;)

1:38pm
My name was called. I was so nervous! But I walked in and rocked it. I made eye contact with each person in the room at least once, and my voice didn't crack at all! I missed a sign or two, but I think I covered well enough.
When they asked me to stay I thought I might faint. I was so wanting to hear those words, and I didn't realize how much so until I actually heard them. I was extatic!
I walked out shaking and sweating a bit, but it was so worth it.

1:43pm
The waiting game begins!
Cheryl, Lisa, Olivia, Hayleah, Mikayla, and I sat or stood around two tall tables with four chairs and killed time waiting. Hayleah was the last name on the list (because of her last minute sign up) so she spent the majority of her time pacing up and down the hallway and standing my the door waiting with the other girls. Numbers slowly dwindled, but I didn't notice until Hayleah came out. We all kind of looked up and saw several girls still hanging around. We all realized that we were now waiting for callbacks. We visited and chuckled a bit before they came back out of the room and called names. All but two of us were called. All of them brunettes.
The blond and I sat in the hallway and nervously debated what could be up as we watched the other girls walk in a circle doing the "princess wave".
When they came back out we all ended up in a circle talking, trying to figure out what was going on. We also found out, quite by accident, that everyone had come straight to the audition from church. I found it awesome that all of us still there had something in common-our faith. Be they different, from the churches listed I was able to determine that we all held a like faith. And that made me smile.
Not long after, the blond and I were called in! Along with three brunettes. Olivia was with me! I was slightly relieved.
All was silent until one of us said "hi!" and everyone laughed. Nerves dissipated as we looked at each other and smiled, waving to each other and imaginary children as laughter filled the room and our circle got smaller and smaller.
Several of us were given dresses and sent to try them on. It felt unreal as I walked down the hallway carrying a bag that was almost bigger than I was, going to try on a real princess dress! I was on cloud nine.
The three of us in the same bathroom decided that we were going to turn it into a dressing room.
The dress was breath taking, and in three pieces. Thankfully, I knew how to put on a hoop skirt thanks to Cheryl. I was in the dress in no time, and walking down the hallway of the Ozark community center while holding the sides together. Cheryl's face was full of a Mother's pride. As they were making sure everything fit correctly, she was off to the side taking pictures.
I was in too much of a haze to care. I was in the Anna dress. I couldn't believe it.
When I went back to take it off, I ended up having more trouble than I expected trying to get the top off. They'd laced it tighter than it had been earlier. I had to have Cheryl come in and help me get it over my head!
After that, I was free to go with the promise of an e-mail in a week or two, letting me know if I got the part.

May 6, 2016
I was backstage for Class Act, checking my e-mail while I waited for the show to start. When I saw the message, I gasped loudly. The kids around me jumped up and asked if I was alright. I was in shock, and when I finally answered I couldn't contain my excitement. I had been offered the part of Anna! I was shaking. I knew I had to tell Cheryl.
I asked John right away if I could come over after the last show that night, and then anxiously awaited the end of the night. Even in my excitement, I was able to focus on the show that night and it went over with minimal complications.
I dropped my brother off in our driveway, and had to keep myself from speeding over to Cheryl's. I was shaking, I was so excited. It was finally sinking in.
She knew the second I walked in the door. I didn't even have to knock. They saw me walking up and waved me in. We laughed and cried, and she got that look of pride in her eyes again.
I am beyond excited about this opportunity.
Two years ago, heck even one year ago, I would never have been able to do anything like this.
I could drive down James River Freeway and point out the exact places where I've had panic attacks on the way to Ozark, and recognize landmarks that brought back memories of attacks once we're off JR. I couldn't even think of going to Nixa, let alone Ozark, without an intense feeling of anxiety taking over me.
Yet in these past years God has given me many many opportunities to face my fears and stretch myself to and past my limits. Sometimes I broke, sometimes I still do. But I get back and, through God's strength, I put myself back together and try again.
2016 is shaping up to be a very exciting year, with many past and future chances to grow and have new experiences that I never dreamed were possible.
I cannot wait to see what God has in store for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment